Christopher Parrington focuses on finance, securities and cannabis matters.
Mr. Parrington has more than 18 years of experience advising financial institutions including broker / dealers, registered investment advisory firms (“RIAs”), banks and fund managers on compliance with FINRA, state and federal securities laws, rules and regulations. Mr. Parrington regularly advises and represents financial institutions and issuers regarding routine examinations, regulatory inquiry responses and in defense of investigations and enforcement actions commenced by other securities regulators including the SEC, FINRA, state securities regulators (including the Florida Office of Financial Regulations, the Minnesota Department of Commerce, the Michigan Securities Division and the Massachusetts Securities Division), and the Nasdaq. Mr. Parrington also represents broker / dealers and registered representatives in lawsuits nationwide alleging violations of state and federal securities laws, as well as FINRA arbitrations throughout the country involving customer and industry disputes including appeals to the National Adjudicatory Counsel (“NAC”). He is a member of and regular contributor (publications and presentations) to the Independent Broker Dealer Consortium (“IBDC”), and has been a been a contributor and presenter for the National Society of Compliance Professionals (“NSCP”). Mr. Parrington is licensed to practice law in Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana, as well as numerous federal courts, but has experience defending arbitrations, investigations and enforcement actions nationwide.
Mr. Parrington has also represented businesses and business owners in a variety of matters including contract disputes, shareholder disputes, non-compete and non-solicitation agreement disputes, confidentiality and trademark disputes, and general business disputes. He has tried and arbitrated more than 25 cases across the country to verdict or final award and argued commercial litigation cases before the Minnesota Court of Appeals, North Dakota Supreme Court, California Court of Appeals, and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals for the United States. Mr. Parrington has argued appellate cases that resulted in landmark decisions in areas including contract interpretation, share valuation, loan modifications and non-compete agreements.
Since 2014, Mr. Parrington has represented cannabis companies throughout the United States in respect to deals, litigation, regulatory compliance, and defense of regulatory investigations and enforcement actions. He has represented cannabis clients located in many of the states that have passed legislation legalizing cannabis (whether at the medical or recreational level). Mr. Parrington has the knowledge, understanding and experience necessary to advise clients through the myriad of challenges navigating state laws and local government rules and regulations relating to cannabis. He has also represented clients attempting to navigate through the regulatory legalization of hemp under the 2018 Farm Bill including the creation of compliance policies and procedures, and issues related to the interstate transportation of hemp.
- Non-Compete Dispute. JAB, Inc. v. Naegle, Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Non-Compete Agreement Dispute. Schmit Towing, Inc. v. Chris Frovik, Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Insurance Coverage Dispute. QBE Insurance Corp. v. Twin Homes of French Ridge Homeowners Association, Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Contract Dispute. Hendel Construction, LLC v. Security State Bank of Howard Lake, Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Securities Fraud Allegations. Equity Trust Company Custodian FBO Eisenmenger IRA, et al. v. Joseph A. Cole, et al., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Securities Fraud Allegations. Andrew Bloomquist v. Wisdom Development Group, Inc., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Fraud Allegations. Esera Tuaolo v. Want Some Weather, Inc., et al., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Non-Compete Agreement Dispute. Tenant Construction, Inc. v. Scott H. Mason, Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Non-Compete Agreement Dispute. Salon 2000, Inc. v. Chandra Lynn Dauwalter, et al., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Contract Dispute. Ran Mart Stucco, Texture & Drywall, Inc. v. Danna Homes, Inc., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Real Estate Dispute. Richard T. Ketterling v. Carolyn Hamilton, et al., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Securities Fraud Allegation. Edwin L. Sisam, et al. v. Workman Securities Corporation, FINRA Case.
- Contract Dispute. Katherine Williams v. Daniel Rickett.
Honors & Professional Affiliations
- Profiled in Law.com’s Higher Law Q&A, 2020.
- Advisory Board Member, DRIVE Emerging Leaders, Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce.
- Committee Member, National Society of Compliance Professionals (NSCP), Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association.
- Minnesota Super Lawyers Rising Stars® 2007, 2009-2011, 2013-2014, 2016-2018.
- Who’s Who in Business Litigation, Minnesota Law & Politics and Twin Cities Business magazines, 2011.
- Author, Evolution vs. Regulation: A Look at Delta-8 THC, Marijuana Venture, 2021.
- Author, Imagine the Responsibilities – Considerations for Engaging Independent Third-Parties to Assist with EB-5 Investment Deployment and Securities Law Compliance, NES Financial EB-5 Insider, 2017.
- Author, How Secure is the Securities Industry? National Society of Compliance Professionals, Currents, 2016.
- Author, Securities and Marijuana: A Broker / Dealer’s Guide to Navigating through the Rules and Regulations Related to the Cannabis Industry, National Society of Compliance Professionals, Currents, 2016.
- Author, Broker-Dealers and Registered Reps Must Heed FINRA Disclosure Requirements, Attorney at Law Magazine, Twin Cities, MN, 2015.
- Author, The Customer is Always Right in FINRA Employment Disputes, Attorney at Law Magazine, Twin Cities, MN, 2015.
- Author, Crowdfunding: The New Way to Finance Your Startup, Attorney at Law Magazine, Twin Cities, MN, 2014.
- Author, Are You Selling Real Estate or Securities? The Minnesota Securities Act’s Application to Real Estate Investments, Attorney at Law Magazine, 2013.
- Author, Are You Sure You Have an “Expert” Witness, Attorney at Law Magazine, 2013.
- Author, How Well Do You Know “Your Customer”? The Impact of FINRA Rules 2090 and 2011 on the Financial Services Industry, Attorney at Law Magazine, 2013.
- Author, Cracking the WHIP: FINRA Enforcement Action and Rule Changes Involving Private Placement in Outside Business Activities, DRI Today, 2013.
- Author, Fraudulent Practices of Real Estate Agents in Selling Bank Owned Properties, Minnesota Bankers Association News, 2011.
- Presenter, Is Cannabis an Essential Investment Option for your Clients? Independent Broker Dealer Consortium, 2021.
- Presenter, Regulating Marijuana: Approaches by Individual States, Minnesota CLE, 2021.
- Presenter, The Cannabis Report: What Every Lawyer Should Know about Marijuana, Hemp, CBD, and Vaping, The Cannabis Report, Minnesota CLE, 2021.
- Presenter, Course: Cannabis 101, Doane University, 2021.
- Presenter, Cannabis and Hemp Business Law Issues for the Non-Expert, Business Law Institute, 2020.
- Presenter, A Selective Overview of Cannabis Issues for Banking Lawyers, Bank of the West, 2019.
- Presenter, Commission Payment Disputes Before and After Termination: Payability, Calculation and Timing, Strafford CLE, 2019.
- Presenter, Banking the Cannabis Industry: Legal and Ethical Issues, Nebraska Bankers Association, 2018.
- Presenter, How to Prevent Your Dispute from Turning from an Ant Hill into a Mountain, Independent Broker Dealer Conference, 2016.
- Presenter, A Navigational Guide to Investigating Financial Crimes in State-Legal Cannabis Market, International Association of Financial Crimes Investigator’s Midwest Annual Conference, 2016.
- Presenter, Anti-Money Laundering: Issues Every Broker / Dealer and Investment Advisor Should Know, National Society of Compliance Professionals, 2015.
- Presenter, Protect Your Book of Business: Employment Law 101 for Broker / Dealers, Independent Broker Dealer Conference, 2015.
- Presenter, Broker-Dealer Due Diligence Investigation, National Society of Compliance Professionals, 2015.
- Presenter, Can Broker / Dealers do Business with Investors in the Marijuana Industry? Catlin US Independent Broker / Dealer Conference, 2014.
- Presenter, Broker / Dealer: Regulation of Electronic and Social Mediation Communications, National Society of Compliance Professionals, 2014.
- Presenter, General Investments: Supervision vs. Compliance Oversight, National Society of Compliance Professionals, 2014.
- Presenter, Broker / Dealer: E&O and D&O Insurance Issues Every Compliance Professional Should Know, National Society of Compliance Professionals, 2013.
- Presenter, Do You Have a Rogue Broker in Your Midst? National Regulatory Service, 2013.
- Presenter, Anti-Money Laundering, National Society of Compliance Professionals, 2013.
- Presenter, Broker / Dealer: Communications with the Public, National Society of Compliance Professionals, 2013.
- Presenter, Broker / Dealer: Branch Audits Including Risk Assessment, National Society of Compliance Professionals, 2012.
- Presenter, Broker – Dealer: Ethics, Compliance and Risk in Today’s World, National Society of Compliance Professionals, 2012.
- Presenter, Broker – Dealer: How to Conduct a Branch Exam, National Society of Compliance Professionals, 2011.