Eileen M. Letts
Eileen M. Letts
Eileen Letts is a premier civil trial attorney, with dozens of jury trials and over 100 bench trials, often to Fortune 500 companies and iconic government entities. Ms. Letts has won high-stakes trials in a wide variety of subject matters areas. Areas of focus include product liability, complex tort, insurance coverage and commercial disputes. She has achieved favorable outcomes in over 88% of her trials.
Ms. Letts is a frequent presenter at continuing legal education seminars and panel discussions of the American Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, and the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
Ms. Letts possesses deep roots in the Chicago political community. As an example, she served on the transition team of Chicago Mayor-Elect Harold Washington.
Ms. Letts began her career clerking for the Honorable Glenn T. Johnson, Justice of the Illinois Appellate Court from 1978 to 1980.
Professional Affiliations & Activities
- Co-chair, ABA Commission on Diversity & Inclusion 360
- Member, ABA Presidential Appointment Commission, IOLTA
- President (past), Lawyers Trust Fund of Illinois
- Co-chair (past), ABA Committee on Corporate Counsel
- Managing Director (past), ABA Section of Litigation
- Member (past), Board of Directors, Chicago Bar Association
- Member (past), Magistrate Merit Selection Panel, Northern District of Illinois
- Chair (past), Illinois Supreme Court, Committee on Character and Fitness
- Member (past), Special Supreme Court Committee on Illinois Evidence
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- Moderator, Civil Bench Trial Nuts & Bolts, National Bar Association, 2018
- Panelist, What is Grit, Why Women Lawyers Need It, and How You Can Learn It to Foster Success, ABA Commission on Women in the Profession, 2018
- Panelist, Managing Partners, Symposium on Women Lawyers in the Courtroom, 2018
- Panelist, Is This Admissible, ABA Tips, 2015
- Moderator, Finding Your True Grit: Secret Ingredients in Your Success, ABA Women Rainmakers, 2015
- Speaker, True Grit and a Growth Mindset: The Secrets of Success for Women Lawyers, ABA, 2014.
- Instructor, Basic Skills Course, Chicago Bar Association, 2014, 2013.
- Panelist, Building a Community of Legal Professionals,, Address to Loyola University of Chicago Law Students; February, 2013.
Honors & Achievements
- John Paul Stevens Award, Chicago Bar Association and Chicago Bar Foundation, 2016.
- Earl B. Dickerson Award, Chicago Bar Association, 2008.
- Pro Bono Initiative Award, Public Interest Law Initiative, 2008.
- Selectee, Who’s Who in Black Chicago, inaugural edition, 2006.
- Distinguished Service Award, Chicago Bar Association, 2005.
- Distinguished Service Award, Chicago Bar Foundation, 2001, 2002, 2003.
IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
The Ohio State University
U.S. District Court – Northern District of IL