James Berger focuses on cross-border transactions and regulatory compliance: work that includes overseeing internal and governmental investigations as well as international commercial litigation.
Mr. Berger is particularly interested in the alternative investment sector, FCPA/AML, emerging technologies, and regulatory management. He frequently works in international contexts, and spent numerous years working in China, Europe, and Latin America.
Prior to joining Zuber Lawler, Mr. Berger honed his skills at top global law firms; in government; as a senior executive/counsel for one of DC’s leading public affairs companies; and during high-stakes national elections.
- Represented a top-five media distribution corporation achieving Congressional., anti-trust, and FCC approval of a $37 billion merger by deploying by helping create and coordinate legal and public affairs strategies.
- Negotiated favorable settlement of securities fraud claims on behalf of major Israeli tech company’s CFO.
- Secured successful regulatory outcome for multinational crypto-currency trading platform subject to simultaneous civil and criminal inquiries.
- Designed GDPR and CCPA compliance protocol for US subsidiary of leading Chinese genetics company to proactively avert pending government intervention and potential defection of clients.
- Managed team of media experts, government relations specialists, and corporate attorneys for US defense contractor, helping win one of the United States Air Force’s largest-ever procurement contests.
- Represented a top-five international banking conglomerate following two years of federal lawsuits and appeals brought by government-backed plaintiffs from
several Latin American countries.
- Uncovered critical evidence while helping lead internal investigation of a Fortune 500 company, revealing serious criminal activity within upper management.
- Represented former high-ranking CIA Officer during provision of testimony at the request of the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence’s 2017 investigation into Russian election interference.
- Obtained dismissal of insider trading allegations facing three Managing Directors at high AUM hedge fund.
- Achieved exoneration for Congressional Committee Chairman subject to a House Ethics investigation alleging white-collar crimes and rules violations pursuant to vindication.
- Guided one of the nation’s most significant beverage industry trade associations in designing and deploying a legislative outreach, legal and media campaign.
- Co-Chair of American Bar Association New York White Collar Crime Committee, New York Chapter (2012 to Present).
- Awarded Yale China Association Fellowship, a two-year academic and professional commitment based in Changsha, China.
- Granted Yale University Bates Travel Fellowship (comparative immigration policy research performed in Germany, the Czech Republic, and California).
- Featured at various events hosted by the Hedge Fund Association of America and CounselWorks on legislative, regulatory, and PR challenges facing the alternative investment sector.
- Served in senior roles on local, state, and national political campaigns as a senior policy advisor for officials in the legislative and executive branches of government.
Speaking Engagements. & Publications
- Moderated “Residential: Asian Market Update & Trends” discussion panel at Fifth Annual East Meets West Real Estate Connect event hosted by Asian American Real Estate Association of America Manhattan Chapter (“AREAA”).
- Hosted a series of in-person and virtual events from early 2020 through the present aimed at inspiring dialogue and forging positive connections between diverse corporate, political, legal, and humanitarian professionals from the United States and China.
- Interviewed and published by multiple media outlets (including Newsweek, CNBC MarketWatch, and Law360) about the evolving “weaponization of regulatory regimes” and the various ways in which legal and geopolitical threats frequently intersect.