Jeff Zuber is a founder of Zuber Lawler and a selectee of Best Lawyers in America®️. Jeff focuses on high-stakes commercial litigation, including financial, real estate, and intellectual property litigation. He frequently handles hotly-contested corporate and partnership disputes. Mr. Zuber’s litigation experience includes trial and appellate advocacy in federal and state courts as well as arbitration and mediation proceedings. His ability to connect with juries and judges has led to a remarkable track record of success at trial.
Mr. Zuber’s clients include iconic Fortune 500 companies and utilities, as well as leading companies in emerging industries and technologies.
He represents his clients both domestically and internationally.
- Contract Dispute. Lead counsel in arbitration concerning cannabis licensing and distribution contract concerning the “Weekend Box.” Arbitrator awarded clients a total of over $66 million, including over $26 million in punitive damages;
- Appeal From $62,784,000 Judgment. Lead counsel on successful appeal obtaining reversal of a $62,784,000 million judgment against client under former counsel. Successfully argued that trial court used an improper valuation method for a close corporation, notwithstanding the failure of appellants to properly object at trial before retaining appellate counsel. After multiple trials and appeals, successfully reduced the valuation to $0;
- Contract Dispute. Co-lead counsel in federal court litigation against major luxury automobile manufacturer over contract dispute concerning misappropriation of business. Won verdict in excess of $3 million after jury trial;
- FINRA Dispute. Lead counsel for a financial institution against its former employee concerning breach of employment contract and related SEC violations.
- Patent Infringement Litigation. Lead counsel in representation of an iconic publicly-traded apparel designer and manufacturer in a patent infringement action filed against it relating to an internet technology patent. Obtained favorable settlement for client, including a full release with no monetary payment;
- Class Action Litigation. Lead counsel in class action suit concerning breach of membership agreements and demand for rescission by class members. Successfully obtained favorable settlement;
- Patent Infringement Litigation. Lead counsel in action filed against client regarding a technology utility patent, and successfully pressured overseas manufacturer to offer defense and indemnity to our client after having ignored demand letters from patent troll for approximately one year. Manufacturer soon paid for a full license, and client was dismissed with prejudice from the action without any payment whatsoever;
- Corporate Ownership Dispute. Lead counsel in representation of a real estate holding company and various shareholders against opposing shareholder claiming control of the company. Won declaratory relief after trial obtaining control of the company for the client;
- Contract Dispute. Lead counsel in representation of a technology design and manufacturing company against the State of California over breach of a contract for the design and manufacture of high-tech safety and communication devices for use on California’s highways. Obtained favorable settlement for client;
- Patent Infringement Litigation. Represented a large international appliance manufacturer and distributor in defense against a manufacturing utility patent. Formulated significant defenses in both invalidity and non-infringement. Settled for fraction of nuisance value;
- Trade Secret Litigation. Lead counsel in defense of a technology consulting company against employee’s former employer regarding claims of trade secret misappropriation, including confidential client information. Obtained settlement, including dismissal of all claims for no monetary payment;
- Patent Infringement Litigation. Lead counsel in patent infringement claim against client by well known and successful patent troll. Negotiated settlement of the matter for far less than the cost of responsive pleading, and far lower than history of claims by this troll;
- Trade Secret Litigation. Lead counsel in defense of a technology consulting company against employee’s former employer regarding claims of trade secret misappropriation, including confidential client information. Obtained settlement for legal fees estimated at about 1/3 the estimated cost of litigating through trial;
- Class Action Litigation. Lead counsel for international publicly-traded cosmetics conglomerate in defense of class action for breach of criminal statute concerning recording of customer service calls. Convinced plaintiff’s counsel to dismiss action due to substantive defense concerning statutory interpretation, as well as a separate defense based on class certification. No monetary payment was made;
- Environmental Regulations: Counseled a utility regarding jurisdictional issues over the construction of power plant.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, California State Bar, Litigation Section
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Supreme Court: Growing Patented Soybeans for Replanting Is Infringement Bowman v. Monsanto Co., WL 1942397, 133 S. Ct. 1761, 38(4) NEW MATTER, (Winter 2013).