Lisa Pittman focuses on litigation and regulatory compliance. Throughout Ms. Pittman’s 20-year career, she has litigated and tried disputes relating to labor & employment, breach of contract, commercial banking, fraud, fiduciary duty, construction defect and injury, deceptive trade practices, premises liability, professional liability, and products liability. She also possesses extensive expertise in complex commercial insurance coverage matters, having both defended insurance companies and advocated for policy holders in commercial property, residential property, and life insurance matters.
Ms. Pittman is a pioneering figure in the emerging legalized hemp/cannabis industry in Texas. Ms. Pittman is an appointee to the Texas Department of Agriculture’s Industrial Hemp Advisory Council. She is also a non-resident fellow of the Drug Policy Program at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy. Ms. Pittman presented the American Bar Association’s first marijuana law CLE at its annual meeting in New York City in 2017, resulting in the creation of the American Bar Association’s Task Force on Cannabis Law and Policy, and she is the Chair-Elect of the American Bar Association’s Cannabis Law & Policy Committee for 2021-2022.
From her participation in the nascent cannabis industry, Ms. Pittman has represented a broad range of clients from investors to ancillary service and product providers to “plant touching” companies — farmers, processors, manufacturers, laboratories, distributors, and retailers. Some of these clients have now expanded into other countries. In pursuit of becoming an authority in this area, she understands the many challenges facing marijuana and hemp businesses, such as tax, banking, insurance, and regulatory compliance issues, and she has grown a vast network of experts to assist in these areas. Ms. Pittman keeps abreast of the constantly evolving laws, news, and deals occurring in the cannabis industry internationally on a daily basis.
From her extensive experience in breach of contract in litigation, Ms. Pittman is adept at negotiation and contract drafting, and her broad base of knowledge in many legal areas gained from her litigation experience allows her to give comprehensive business and legal advice to clients in the cannabis industries, including investment and growth strategies, and risk management and mitigation to avoid civil litigation, criminal prosecution, or regulatory violations. She has assisted marijuana and hemp license applicants in multiple states across the country, including guiding Louisiana State University through its rollout of Louisiana’s medical marijuana program.
Ms. Pittman is also a certified mediator and arbitrator.
Honors & Achievements
- Awardee, Texas Lawyer Trailblazer Award, 2020
- Awardee, National Law Journal Trailblazer Award – Cannabis Law, 2020
- Chair, American Bar Association’s Cannabis Law & Policy Committee, 2021 – 2022
- Appointee, Texas Department of Agriculture Industrial Hemp Advisory Council, 2020 – Present
- Vice-Chair of Publications, Cannabis Law & Policy Committee, 2019 – Present
- Member, The Colorado Bar Association, 2018 – Present
- Leadership Austin, Class of 2017
- American Bar Association Leadership Academy Class of 2016
- Austin Bar Association Leadership Academy Class of 2016
- Vice-Chair, Product Liability Committees, 2015 – Present
- Vice-Chair, Corporate Counsel Committee, 2015 – Present
- Vice-Chair of Publications, Business Litigation Committee, 2012 – Present
- Member, College of the State Bar of Texas, 2009—Present
- Author, Editorial Board, Managing Editor, 2006 – Present: Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Law Journal.
- The American Bar Association – Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section, 2002 – Present
- Member, The Texas Bar Association, 2001 – Present
- Non-resident Fellow, Rice University Baker Institute for Public Policy, Drug Policy Program
- NWCUA Legal Symposium, L. Pittman, presenting on Hemp & Marijuana Banking, December 3, 2020
- “Texas Marijuana Policy Conference,” virtual, November 20-21, 2020
- “Smokable Hemp in Texas – Legal Issues,” to Blue Cord Farms, Austin, TX, June 3, 2020
- Hemp and Cannabis-Related Legal and Compliance Issues, to Austin Bar Association, Financial Institutions Section and Business, Corporation & Tax Section, Austin, TX, May 20, 2020
- Introduction to Cannabis & Hemp Law & Licensing, American Bar Association, Nashville, TN, April 30, 2020
- Discussion of Texas Hemp Program with Commissioner Sid Miller, EarthX/HempX, April 25, 2020
- Update on Texas Hemp Laws, to Texas NORML, Austin, TX, April 20, 2020
- Cannabis Kick-Off at SxSW, to Texas NORML, March 18, 2020
- Hemp Law for Bank Regulators to NASCUS, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 16, 2020
- Update on Texas and Federal Hemp Rules, Foundation for Informed Texas, Fort Worth, TX, February 22, 2020 (video)
- Expert Live Q & A: Texas Hemp Growers, El Paso, TX, February 22, 2020
- Industrial Hemp: Law, Economics, and Application, Austin, Texas, February 27, 2020
- Expert Live Q & A: Texas Hemp Growers, McAllen, TX, January 11, 2020
- “Coats Rose: Staying CBD Lawsuits Pending FDA Regulation,” Cannabis Law Journal, February 2021.
- “Biden moves on climate change have hemp industry seeing opportunity,” Hemp Industry Daily, January 27, 2021.
- “The Rise of Hemp Litigation and the Primary Jurisdiction Doctrine,” The Judges’ Journal, American Bar Association, Winter 2021.
- “Hemp Industry Files Lawsuit Against DEA Over Release of Rule Regarding Hemp,” Texas Hemp Reporter, November 3, 2020.
- “The Challenge to Watch: Sisley, et al v. DEA,” Harris Bricken Canna Law Blog, October 23, 2020.
- “Update on Sisley v. DEA Lawsuit in 9th Circuit: Challenge to Marijuana Scheduling,” October 12, 2020.
- “Cannabis Attorneys Push USDA to Fix Hemp Rule,” Law360, October 9, 2020.
- “Sante Labs first to test Texas hemp for total THC,” Wichita Falls Times Record News, October 01, 2020. “Discussing New Laws in Texas for Hemp with Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller,” Texas Ranch Journal, Fall 2020 Issue.
- “Did the DEA’s new rule confirm hemp-derived Delta-8 THC is illegal?” Texas Hemp Reporter, October 2020.
- “Smokable Hemp Ban in Texas, Temporary Injunction Granted – Win for Texas Manufacturers, Processors & Retailers,” September 17, 2020.
- “The 2018 Farm Bill Does Not Support the DEA Interim Rule,” Harris Bricken Canna Law Blog, September 16, 2020.
- “Did the DEA’s new rule confirm hemp-derived Delta-8 THC is illegal?,” with A. Steel, Cannabis Business Executive, September 1, 2020.
- Attempts to Weed Out Cannabis Businesses Through Civil Rico Lawsuits,” The Brief, Vol. 49, no. 4, American Bar Association, Summer 2020.
- “Interview: Sid Miller, Texas Agriculture Commissioner,” Texas Hemp Reporter, August 7, 2020.
- “New Laws in Texas for Hemp,” Texas Hemp Reporter, June 2020.
- “How Crop Insurance Helps Hemp Farmers Protect Property, Interests,” as published in: Managing Risk in Uncertain Times: Strategies for Hemp Businesses, by Hemp Industry Daily, May 1, 2020.
- “Meeting Round-up: Mid-Year Meeting in Austin, Texas,” TortSource: Volume 22, Number 3, American Bar Association – Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Spring 2020.
- “The Cannabis Law & Policy Committee,” TortSource: Volume 22, Number 3, American Bar Association – Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Spring 2020.
- “Legalization of Cannabis in Mexico Could Be Big For US Markets,”Hemp Industry Daily, March 20, 2020.
- “Limiting Your Liability,” MJBiz Daily Magazine, March 1, 2020.
- “New Laws in Texas for Hemp,” Austin Lawyer, February 1, 2020.