Matthew Hess is a trial lawyer focused on commercial litigation. Mr. Hess focuses most often on class action, real estate, anti-trust, intellectual property, and other commercial disputes. He often works in relation to the entertainment and real estate industries.
Matthew also has experience with entertainment transactions, including as relates to the motion picture, television, and music industries.
- Successfully resolved a class action lawsuit seeking statutory damages in excess of $36,000,000 for just $70,000 after very hard-fought litigation.
- Obtained summary judgment on the issue of liability in a class action against one of the nation’s largest privately-held companies, in action where damages exceeded $8,000,000.
- Obtained reversal of dismissal of antitrust class action lawsuit in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained reversal of dismissal of class action lawsuit involving violations of the California Business & Professions Code in case of first impression involving issues of administrative jurisdiction.
- Certification of a class action against one of the nation’s largest cellular telephone networks featuring claimed out-of-pocket damages of over $100,000,000.
- A defense verdict in a dispute over an opulent probate estate; a $33,000,000 judgment in a vigorously litigated copyright infringement suit.
- The dismissal of multiple wage and hour claims before the California Labor Commission.
- Dozens of successful appeals in state and federal appellate courts including the California Supreme Court.
- Defense of several class actions alleging violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Truth-In-Lending Act, and state usury laws.
- Obtained United States District Court confirmation of $9,620,000 foreign arbitration award by China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC).