Matthew Hess is a trial lawyer focused on commercial litigation. Mr. Hess focuses most often on class action, anti-trust, intellectual property, and other commercial disputes. He often works in relation to the entertainment and real estate industries. He has won 5 of 6 trials.
Matthew also has experience with entertainment transactions, including as relates to the motion picture, television, and music industries.
- Successfully resolved a class action lawsuit seeking statutory damages in excess of $36,000,000 for just $70,000 after very hard-fought litigation.
- Obtained summary judgment on the issue of liability in a class action against one of the nation’s largest privately-held companies, in action where damages exceeded $8,000,000.
- Obtained reversal of dismissal of antitrust class action lawsuit in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained reversal of dismissal of class action lawsuit involving violations of the California Business & Professions Code in case of first impression involving issues of administrative jurisdiction.
- Certification of a class action against one of the nation’s largest cellular telephone networks featuring claimed out-of-pocket damages of over $100,000,000.
- A defense verdict in a dispute over an opulent probate estate; a $33,000,000 judgment in a vigorously litigated copyright infringement suit.
- The dismissal of multiple wage and hour claims before the California Labor Commission.
- Dozens of successful appeals in state and federal appellate courts including the California Supreme Court.
- Defense of several class actions alleging violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Truth-In-Lending Act, and state usury laws.
- Obtained United States District Court confirmation of $9,620,000 foreign arbitration award by China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC).