Matthew J. Spark
Matthew J. Spark
Matthew J. Spark, a former U.S. Patent Examiner, focuses on patent prosecution, IPR and other post-grant proceedings, and patent litigation support in a wide variety of technologies. Mr. Spark also drafts invalidity and infringement opinions, prepares appeals to the USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board, conducts intellectual property due diligence reviews for mergers & acquisitions, and prepares intellectual property licenses and confidentiality agreements.
As a U.S. Patent Examiner at the USPTO, Mr. Spark examined hundreds of patent applications. Mr. Spark understands the environment in which Patent Examiners work and uses this knowledge to his clients’ advantage when negotiating with Patent Examiners during prosecution and post-grant proceedings.
Mr. Spark has successfully prosecuted patent applications in a wide variety of technologies including medical devices, video technology, digital signal processing, network devices, streaming media technology, electronic displays, semiconductor fabrication, semiconductor devices, telecommunications, RFID devices, nutraceuticals, energy-generating systems, automotive safety, virtual reality simulation, tools, irrigation systems, packaging, illumination, hydraulic systems, cosmeticeuticals, cookware, sports-related equipment, exercise devices, garments, business methods, software and internet-related commerce.
Prior to joining Zuber Lawler & Del Duca, after serving as a U.S. Patent Examiner, Mr. Spark practiced at Venable LLP.
Before beginning his legal career, Mr. Spark was a Member of the Technical Staff at Hughes Aircraft’s Space and Communications Group.
- Author, “Petitioning During Inter Partes Reexamination Proceedings” New Matter, Volume 38, No. 2 (2013)
- Author, “Determination of Level of Ordinary Skill in the Art: A Post-KSR Prosecution Tool”, Journal of the Patent and Trademark Office Society, Volume 92, No. 3 (2010)
Representative Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “Patent Examiners: Who They Are, What They Do”
- Speaker, “The Determination of Ordinary Skill in the Art: A Post-KSR Prosecution Tool”
Professional Honors & Activities
- Chair, IP Law Section, State Bar of California
Tulane University Law School
Certificate in Environmental Law
- New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. District Court – Southern District of NY
U.S. District Court – Central District of CA